Monday, February 15, 2010

Respect the elderly

My trip from Singapore made me think a lot about the concept of filial piety. Well, to say the least, my grandpa was hospitalized 3 days after I reached Singapore. Of course, the main thing is that we want him to be alright but the fact that he was unwilling to listen to our advice for 5 weeks before that made things difficult for us. Not to mention the fact that he demanded my grandma to stay with him in hospital almost 24/7 while he's there. The good thing, he was healthy within a day, but the bad, he was capable of his usual mischief right after that.

Well, that's not the worst of it, with his whole life littered with issues that I always find his character questionable. Of course, at the end of the day, all his children and descendants want for him is that he is happy and healthy. He is healthy, but he holds onto many little grudges that not only makes him unhappy, but also the lives of my grandma's children and grandchildren difficult. I must make a distinction though, he tortures my grandma's branch of descendants, not so for his other "family".

Well, anyway, I checked up Wikipedia for Confucianism and its definitions of filial piety and relationships and I was pleasantly surprised that what Confucius said is similar to what I think is the right balance of family and parenthood relationship. While the children have duties to fulfil, the parents have an equal amount of burden to share. Give and take a few years of aging and it relates well to how my family is. I must say that I am thankful that my parents share the Confucian philosophy of life and tries to be worry free both for their loved ones and themselves.

Well, Mike was telling me about Strauss and Howe's theory of generational changes and I think what I see is a global thing, rather than their theory of within USA. There are times where progress lead to internal strife, especially when everyone only thinks about themselves which occasionally leads to massive conflict. That will change how people treat one another and their loved ones, but the vastness of the world means different countries experience these changes at different phases. Well, I'm just postulating, although I did have a similar idea before I even read about Strauss and Howe. Well, they're rich and famous and I'm still simple me. Where's the similarity though?

I was quite unimpressed by my visit in Singapore. Kids getting rowdier without the benefit of intellectual growth. Rules getting set when the offenders are still at large and proudly offending. General themes of competitiveness yet with a glass ceiling planted into everyone since birth. Its everywhere in the world, so why am I complaining? Well, everyone is complaining in Singapore about everything with the inert sense of self entitlement. The docile Singaporean is gone in my opinion, all now trained to run first from a fire rather than save whoever is still stuck in the fire, ready to push whoever in the way down to feed the tiger that chases them.

Ryan always complained to me that he gets bumped left and right in Singapore even as a hulky American. Right, that is because everyone dash without concern for others towards their destination, looking blankly into space either onto the ground or deep into the wall. Running for trains on the way home really got me laughing sadly at the situation. Is five minutes of train waiting worth all the hassle of squeezing with other people and running people down? Is it worth risking getting injured falling over? I wonder who these people live with, their loved ones or their creditors?

Am I right? I don't know, but perhaps if I speak my mind, it will provoke people to start looking and act properly. People usually stand up well against a common enemy. Well, not that it is not already too late. My answer to the Singapore Budget is as such, If the monetary value of Singaporeans goes up by a third, doesn't that mean that the cost of living goes up by a similar margin at least? The key to a happy life is to have a simple life. Keep cost of living down and even paupers are happy.

No comments: