Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Live Free Or...Sleep Well

It has been a long time since I watched a movie at a theater. In the summer of 3quels, I'll make an exception. In fact, I made 2 exceptions. One is more than a rare visit to the cinema, two is to watch the same movie twice. So let's see, I watched Ratatouille twice, Transformers, all the 3quels minus Shrek. I'm probably late in give my critique, but I'm definitely more objective. No hand waving.

Most trilogies ended pretty dull. Pirates is pretty good. The story is geared towards finishing the ailing storyline fast. The parts that I dislike most must have been the one that has Sparrow at the desert looking at the crab (which looks pointless and unrelated to the moving of the ship anyway) and the blowing of Cutler's ship(which is completely anti climatic). That took 3 points off, although I'm willing to give half back. Spiderman is a bit worse in my opinion. Venom would add more to the story as an antihero than an outright villain. Also, its too rushed. No pre-ultimate head-to-head, no character building other than Spiderman, and I must say it is pretty predictable, which I felt is a downer compared to the first two. It's not bad, but just not good enough to attract too much of my attention. 6.5 to 7. Action movies usually get better for their sheer effects in IMDB anyway, but hey, in modern cinema, when is effects an issue?

In fact, this brings me to my most anticipated movie. Ocean 13 did not get much attention, but its at least nearly as good as the first. I don't understand the comment "beautiful people doing what they do best" about the show by one review. Most actor/actress gain fame by audacity(in most cases R-rated audacity) OR beauty. The plot is pretty good, the acting and jokes are pretty good, the only drawback is probably the ending part. I kind of get the "do what a villain must do" type of reaction of Banks when he saw his diamonds flown away. Maybe a good faint or some other reaction would have been nicer. I gave it an 8, which is higher than what the movie usually get. As I said action movies usually gets better rating, but hey, I'm not the usual movie goer.

But then again, Ratatouille must have been the best I've seen so far. My second visit was to accompany a friend, so nothing to do with it being good, although it must be above my 7.5 mark to convince me enough to see it twice. And the second trip is free(Hahaha!). Everything looks good except a few rather corny Hollywood-standard plot lines. But since Pixar is pretty good with some twist, I can take a few drowsy moments for it. I would give it a 9. In my opinion, it beats Transformers by way too much. As a Transformers fan, the only thing I find Transformers-like is the transform sound at the start of the show. Else, it is nowhere near attracting my attention, other than the fact I paid for the ticket. The humor is OK, action is standard Hollywood grade. What else? In fact, I thought the movie and action is underused. Well, its a Michael Bay movie. I actually didn't know that until after the show. OK, my bad. I went with friends anyway, so that added to the good atmosphere. Transformers? 6.5, 6 for the overall quality, 0.5 for Shia. I would even give Die Hard 7 just for the show without the jokes, although that how I rate it. The overall feel factor is at most the same as what I felt after watching Spiderman. I must say, Michael Bay should have used Rodimus instead for the slick action style. Optimus is the usual good leader character type.

Well, the season of movies is not over though. I'm waiting for the next Bourne. Hopefully this will be the last one, since the plot is already pretty saturated. You can't add another floor on the tip of the pyramid, unless you are out of this world. The trailers make it sound good already. I even read up its novel background. I think the author did a wonderful job, although his "successor" probably messed it up with the Bourne Legacy(?). But I really admire the ghostwriter who published in the name of Ludlum. A true fan indeed. Passion.

Well, I had wished to complain about my stinky living conditions. Not that it's unhygienic, but lets just say the scenario stinks. Overpaid, overworked, under privileged, and a self-righteous, grouchy roommate to top it off. Well, that's what you get for not putting enough attention to your housing search. OK, that's it. Buenas Noches!