Monday, December 24, 2012

Pre Christmas Sports Update!

Well, I had ideas of other things to write, put them off and now I pretty much didn't want to write about them. Things like the political nonsense surrounding Sandy Hook shootings rather than helping the victims. Or how conveniently Singapore media tried to sweep their dirty tricks under the rug by publicizing Sandy Hook. Or how someone blocking me on Facebook for saying the logical and sensible thing about gun control. Or how that same someone tried to portray themselves as open minded yet steering debate in one direction and ended up blocking me because I pointed out the logic flaw of them living in a controlled environment like Singapore. Open minded people do not need to block anyone with a logical mind.

All this going into the craze that began from Sandy Hook when 28 innocents are killed by 1 deranged young adult because they are made vulnerable to crime in a perceived gun free zone. Instead, people started judging and talking about depriving others of their right to choose their way of life. And these same people always saying they allow people to make their choice through democracy but did not say that they want to dictate laws that override other people's choices. What's the word to describe these people?

Anyway, I digressed. I have no opinion whether everyone should have the right to own arms. I believe in the right to live and the right to make choices without influence. I believe in solutions, not hypothetical scenarios that will not be followed by some people. Yep, that explains my stand. One question I have is, given the circumstance, wouldn't banning guns take away the means of the victims' family to purchase a defense for their loved ones now?

So, back to the sports update. Everton finally caught a break, beat West Ham because of Cole's red card and broke their resistance. But the question remains, why are we conceding so many goals? Wigan is next and I hope we get a clean sheet against them. That is important because Chelsea is next. Yes, the Chelsea that cannot beat strong teams like Juventus or Corinthians but run over weak teams like Aston Villa and Leeds United. We need to show them our tough side. Yep, the same way I stated my stand above. Hopefully a good run starts now and all transfer rumors of players (or manager) leaving get quashed by the first week of January.

And yes, Moyes, my shopping list does not include a GK. I want a Central Defender and a Central Midfielder. Luxury buys can include Wingers and a Striker.

Next was the disappointing loss by the Texans. Well, I'm rooting for them because of their young history. And they are cool with all their charitable efforts and humble demeanor. But I have to say it does not look like they can sustain their drive to win the big prize. And of all things they hindered AP from breaking the rushing yards record. But it's alright, cause it is just a game. AP will continue his stellar career and break other records in due time.

As usual, I have a few teams I like though they might not be dangerous. Teams like Texans and Vikings and Washington. I'm optimistic for Packers, though this is a clear Superbowl contender. If I am to pick based on strength, I would say Packers vs. Broncos. Possible spoilers are Seahawks and Patriots. I think Giants can take a year off after their Superbowl win last year.

Frankly, although I would love to be right, I don't care if I guessed wrongly because I am happy with my picks for the past few year's Superbowl champions (the only one I didn't pick was Steelers and only because I didn't pick anyone!). I will sleep easy on a bad pick. Next week's focus will be on rooting for AP breaking the rushing record and Aldon Smith to break the sack record.

No comments: