Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dennis on Ice...

The cold snap came, and gone by at this time, but the past 2 weeks is definitely worse than I thought going into winter. My water pipe froze, my car got stuck, and then my pipe froze again! I don't understand what could be the issue with the water. The house is older, meaing more electric money for the same heating, and the water froze? Anyway, I was told it never happened before even in cold snaps, but I'm sure that can't be garanteed for the future at least. (PS: Sound proofing is pretty bad as well, since I can hear snoring from my roommate...Duh!)

As for my car, I had to bulldoze through the snow, and after 1 hour of bulldozing, I scrapped out of the ice trench.
The silly part was that my roommate told me that it happened last year. Duh! So they advised to part the car if I can get it out at another place. There is a chinese metaphor "cannon behind horse", literary. What is the point of that AFTER my car is stuck? I knew there is going to be heavy snow, but since no one told me this, I couldn't prepare for it.

Anyway, the cold snap ended around the same time Chinese New Year came, and my snacks. I don't have a lot this year since my parents decided to send me more coffee instead. I had hoped they saved on the postage instead of the coffee. Piggy back my coffee on the airplane is much less important as the snacks which meant festive moods.

So far, the cold snap have taken 2 casualties, my 2 batteries which I lost while taking pictures of the heavy snow. But you know, I always tell myself a small tip to forget the small losses. "Small money losses can save more trouble", and as a matter of fact, it work wonders knowing that. Too bad not everyone thinks like that. That reminds me of my water pipe and heating. Health or wealth? I tend to go fast and hard but I do know the limits of life.

Those aren't the only things that spoil moods. I received letters that tells me to pay and pay, like insurances, bills and anything you can think of a bill for, including increasing insurance premiums. One thing though, most of them are easy to deal with, especially with money. Like the tagline for the Million Dollar Man, "money is not everything, but it is the only thing", everything I see here requires money.

There is a good sign though. My work increased. More work means more business. I made a few errors, but I definitely hope that doesn't stop work from coming. Quality work is the foundation of a quality career, which leads to more money and achievement. The only thing now is whether I will get admitted into the schools I applied for. Any one of the two left will pose a headache. One is Iowa State and the other is Columbia, which pose little chance to begin with anyway. Still, there is a chance, however small.

Below is an actual picture I got from the lake near my work place. Unfortunately, I was alone, which means no helicopter if I felt in, so I decided to just try the sides...

The other sad part is, I'm not the first one on the iced lake, some dog/fox/wolf got here before I did! Ah well, no time for all the misses of life. I can't wait to get busy with work!