Monday, October 06, 2008

My Epiphany

I was sleepless with my back ache and suddenly I had an epiphany. It probably came about with my frustrations that I have always been punished by the system for being right. Well, what do I mean?

In army, being just does not always win. The one who wins is just. In society and work, nice attitude is right, but it does not win you promotions and pay rises. And now, in the stock market, being right does not mean you can profit from someone's mistake, it just means as a small investor, you are not alone in losing money. You probably lose less, but you still lose a lot to the dirty politicians.

So it came upon me after rounds of debate on how a country should be run, it came upon me that I have finally have a few phrases I can call mine. Well, I'm sure someone else will have thought of it, but I dare say it in my own voice and context, and know what I'm talking about, as always...

Human (Greed) is inflationary.

Hence government intervention should be slightly deflationary yet not detrimental. Before I get shot, I hate taxes, and multilayer regulations like in USA. I do a lot of paperwork in Singapore, but once past that, no worries!

And since greed has no limits, government intervention, however subtle, is a need to protect innocents. Sometimes, innocent people get into trouble because of greed too, but the call on the scale of guilt should not be zero or full, but partial. Again, bailouts are bad, but rules to ascertain bankers can't write their (check) way to billions is important too.

Actually, with that, I found a very good piece of news which even as a bear, I think it will help the market recover in the long run. Here it is. It may not be big or helpful to all, but the hardest step is the first step. If homeowners can take the hit they got themselves into, and banks are willing to admit their fault and share their burden, I see no reason why we need the 700 billion bailout which now lands all of the world's money in the worst hands possible. The people in charge had a track record of being bad decision makers and bad problem solvers, so I do not see how their tendency to support their own alumnus helps, even if they are "cream of the crop" based on academia.

Politicians are needed to make difficult decisions. I make a lot of difficult decisions myself, so if they don't help me with some of the tougher questions in life, why do I need them?

If USA can redo the primaries and elect Ron Paul, I will support it even as a resident alien. Now, that is not to say that my philosophy and his are the same, but we probably agree that the rules to run a house is different from family to family, and cultural diversification helps the smarter societies get stronger, as long as they don't pick the bad habits from each other of course...

No comments: