Sunday, July 02, 2006

26th Week 29

As the World Cup rumbles on, this year, it turns out that this year is no common World Cup. Why? Usually, as the shocks come, they come in the first two rounds, and at most up to the quarters for at most one or (at worst) two matches. This year, the favourites get knocked out at the most important stretch. Also, France made a revival of sorts and set what I believe to be the confirmation of two trends.

One, "old coach squad selection down syndrome". It is a recurring infection which affects the squad selection day in day out until the coach steps down or sacked. England, Brazil and a bit of Spain suffered from this. All three teams opt to play out of form players which cause a mini revival, but not enough to match their past prime. For Spain, it was only a slight infection. France have to choose their veterans, since they have no one else to choose from anyway, so they are excused. France then beat a Brazil which was built around no one, yes no one, not even Ronaldinho. Ronaldinho played badly, but they lacked inspiration since. I remember Leonardo, depsite being captain (I think), being dropped after the first game or two when Brazil went on to win the World Cup. The superstars of Brazil got grounded.

Two, "sweetest revenge". Just like Ranieri's Chelsea knocking Arsenal out when they are unbeatable a few seasons ago, and Liverpool winning Chelsea at that all-imporatnt Champions League match, Henry chose the best time to beat Ronaldinho. Henry lost the Champions League tie, but he scored to knock Brazil off the list of contenders. Isn't it sweet? The story doesn't end here but there is too much stories to write on this!

The low point was when Rooney got sent off. He probably deserve the red card, but I would say that he might have escaped on a yellow card if he did not shove Ronaldo. Yes, he stamped on someone at the most crucial parts of any man, but when you accidentally step on someone, on anywhere, how do you get off him? You try to put your foot off him asap! Which is what Rooney did! I do find Ronaldo's actions tasteless since it is obvious that minus the stamping part, the foul should be against Portugal. Also, people tend to forget, retaliation is a straight red! Rooney shoved Ronaldo, and that is retaliation! It's silly but I'm sure at least seven out of ten players would do the same, especially when he feels innocent. And, a wink does not mean an evil plot being excercised. It could be anything, but I'm not here to discuss what Ronaldo actually wanted to do. I hate his 'dive and whine' anyway, so I don't see a difference, but I feel he is in some ways just being young, like Rooney.

As for a quick review on my thumbs up and thumbs down on coaches...players? No comment.

I originally dislike Aargones, but I am impressed at him fulfilling his word of stepping down after his defeat. It is hard to find a good tactical manager anyway, so I felt having integrity is important for a coach

Pekerman is really unlucky. Let me cite another similar scenario. Bayern versus Manchester in that fateful final. Bayern subbed out all their good players legally. Pekerman only have two legal substitutes! He lost one through injury! It is perhaps his oversight not to use Messi but despite that point, I find him a really good manager.

Sven, thumbs down. He's successful, but like I said earlier on, inflexible and prone to trend one. He is lucky to have a batch of talented and rather efficient players. He did take the blame and that is what I expect of a professional coach like him. He probably need a good tactical assistant. I think Steve McClaren would need one too. Not that I think he is not good, but I feel it is not enough to carve the full potential out of the current England squad.

Lippi, down. If he followed Arsene's way of saying "I didn't see that", or "I felt it is a foul", I might have liked his response against the Aussies. The foul should be given outside the area, Grosso obviously took advantage of it. The referee should either play a free kick which Italy could capitalise anyway, or put the foul outside the box. Isn't this scenario why they changed the straight penalty to a possible free kick for, for that unfortunate foul that should not be a penalty?

Parreira, down. He did take the blame professionally, which impresses me. But with an abundance of stars, it is be terribly wrong to go out in the quarter finals. Brazil needs someone like Scolari back.

Klinsmann, very thumbs up. When I hear attacking football and Germany, I thought it might be a typical Manchester style of slow build up, but no, this one is way faster, and I must say, Brian got it right on spot. Germany should win it unless
(most of) the Italians (players) have some dirty tricks up their sleeves again. Of course, when I say "most of", I always exclude Gattuso. I rate him highly. Buffon is ok. If the kids from Roma are out of the team, maybe I'll like Italy more. Totti is talented but acts like a spoilt kid, and to imagine that he is way older than Rooney makes me wonder why is he so highly paid. Besides, I remember his more obviously purposeful stamp on a Leverkusan player, and he didn't get sent off?

School wise, I tried my first full paper on the qualifiers. Took five hours and only have confidence on about forty marks. How am I going to pass? I feel sick of this, since obviously people don't realise that this is a very hard thing to juggle. I find it sickening that people pass off the words like, "there is time after work", "work harder" or "you chose this yourself". Did I choose not to receive funding despite performing well? I find it tasteless that people having funding are saying these things to me. While I understand that they are not in my shoes, but I would have hoped that they used more common sense before they say anything. And maybe the part of the brains that they overuse for academic excercise and not anything else. If I don't work full time, my next year's tuition is not confirmed, which means I'll fail the course without a fight. If I fail my Masters, I'll fail the program also. So telling me to do what I am trying to do is not something I like to hear, since I feel that it is senseless. Some understand and refrain from making comments, and I really appreciate it since they know it is nearly hopeless in terms of workload. Don't I need rest? Am I a robot? I think that's it. Full stop. At least the most annoying Carl is not here to add his portion of insensitivity. It might be worse.


One note, I notice I haven't been talking about wrestling lately, which I think coincide with the inevitable return of DX. See a link?